What is mental health and wellbeing?
The World Health Organization defines mental health as: A state of wellbeing where the individual can unlock their abilities, deal with everyday challenges and stress, as well as enter into communities with other people. (1)
What is a state of wellbeing?
Firstly, mental health is an emotional and psychological state.
When you feel happy and at ease, you typically are too. This does not mean that you cannot be busy at the same time, be dissatisfied with minor things in your life, or perform duties that do not contribute to your overall joy of life. But if most of the time you feel satisfied, it is an indicator of good mental health.
It is also important to mention that you do not always have full control over how you feel, but you can control your reaction to your feelings. You may not want yourself to have a certain feeling or be in a certain state.
However, you can cultivate, and perhaps evoke, wanted feelings by (2):
- Doing things that make you happy and that you are good at
- Taking one or more small breaks throughout the day
- Think about what makes you feel happy during your workday
- Keeping active throughout the day
- Nurturing your social relationships
- Asking for help and talking about your feelings